Keto Popcorn is one snack that everyone likes. It is a great snack that you can dip your fingers into while reading in the couch or you and your lover are watching movie. However, how crunchy and legendary popcorn may be it is a high-carb snack that is not allowed when you are on the keto diet. It is also made from corn, a type of grain, which does not go well with the keto lifestyle.
But since popcorn is a snack that would make you give up on the keto diet because of Keto diet’s grouse with popcorn, it would be important for us to find an alternative. The alternative could either be a modification of the popular popcorn as either a high-fat popcorn or a keto popcorn which necessarily might not use corn.
The popular alternative to popcorn is pork rind snacks. This snack is very good, at least it is, until we consider veggies. This won’t work for them. Besides, not everyone like pork skin. Should we then stick to the high-carb popcorn? No we won’t. We still need an alternative that gets a consensus among Keto dieters either veggies or the others.
This cruciferous vegetable is a better alternative. It has that crunchy chew that is symbolic of popcorn. But it doesn’t have the taste, we would have to prepare it before it would have the taste of popcorn. Salty popcorn taste.
Cauliflower makes a good substitute for popcorn when you need a salty snack.
Before we go into the preparation, we would like to see why cauliflower is a good choice as a popcorn alternative.
- A cup of cauliflower serving contain just 29 calories, 1 gram lesser than air-popped popcorn of same amount. Popcorn could also have up to 80 calories per cup when lightly buttered.
- Cauliflower contains antioxidants that protect your cells from cancerous cells by stimulating cancer-blocking enzymes.
- Cauliflower contains substances that detoxifies your body of toxics and helps regulate your body detoxifying enzymes.
- A one cup serving of cauliflower contains as much as 73% of your body daily vitamin C intake. This helps in fighting inflammation.
- Sulfuraphane is found in cauliflower. What it does is that it helps protect the skin from ultraviolet radiation. This ensure that your skin has a higher chance of escaping cancer.
- Cauliflower helps to prevent bone loss by supplying the body with vitamin C that helps in producing collagen. Collagen protects the bones and joints from damage due to inflammation.
- Cauliflower helps improve brain health by supplying substances that repair cell membranes. Healthy cell membranes ensure that the brain and the nervous system function well.
- Cauliflower improves hair growth. It contains sulphur and silicon, which helps in promoting hair growth.
- Cauliflower helps balance hormone in the body by reducing the unhealthy level ofestrogen.
You need not wonder why we choose cauliflower as a replacement for popcorn. Only that they are different but calorie for calorie, gram for gram, and nutrient for nutrient, cauliflower beats popcorn hands down.
This recipe uses Taco powder as seasoning. Since we might not get a healthy taco seasoning in stores it is important that we make our own homemade taco seasoning.
How to Prepare Taco Seasoning
This seasoning takes ten minutes to prepare and it is a perfect keto seasoning that can be used other than for the popcorn we would make here.
- 3 grams of ground Chile powder
- 2 grams of ground cumin
- 8 grams of ground bell pepper
- 4 grams of granulated onion
- 4 grams of granulated garlic
- 4 grams sea salt
- 2 grams of pepper
- Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Optionally, you can add a non-sugar sweetener to it in order to sweeten it.
- You can then take based on your servings.
How to Make Keto Popcorn
This recipe is so easy. Even if you have not cooked before, today is your field day. Since cauliflower is crunchy in itself. It would make sense if we allow it to retain its crunchiness. This way it would be as crunchy as popcorn not like a boiled potato.
We won’t boil or bake the cauliflower but rather you would warm it. It would not take more than two minutes to warm the cauliflower.
- 4 gram of cauliflower
- 3 grams of grass-fed butter or olive oil.
- 6 grams of taco seasoning
- Salt to taste
You would need the following to make the keto cauliflower popcorn.
- A frying pan
- A plate
- A Spoon
- Paper towel to wipe your hand.
- Heat your frying pan and melt the butter. If you are using olive oil, you would not allow it to heat much.
- Inside the plate, break the cauliflower into small buds and spread in a single layer.
- Microwave just until hot but not cooked. Except you don’t want the crunchy chew.
- Pour the melted fat or olive oil over the microwaved cauliflower.
- Season it with the taco powder.
- Stir gently and eat.
What about the Pork Rind alternative for those who want the pork version? We would share it here.
Before we share the recipe, we would brief you of the nutritional property of pork rind. This would make you to consider if it is the right one for you or not. Stay put.
Simply put, pork rind is the skin of a pig. Commercially, it is made by soaking in water and deep fried in pork fats.
Like most snacks, it has a very high amount of sodium in relation to main dishes. It also have very low amount of amino acid.
Its fats content is impressive. A 60 grams serving of pork rind contains 29 grams of fats. The fat contained is mostly good fats with about 43% unsaturated fats in form of oleic acid and 13% stearic acid, a harmless fat. Oleic acid is the same healthy fats found in olive oil.
How to Make Pork Rind Keto Popcorn
- Pork Skin and Fat
- Taco Seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Divide the pork skin into small size. Don’t cut out the fat from it. The size should be like the average popcorn size.
- Heat a fry pan. Make sure it is low heat.
- Add the pork to the fry pan. Allow it melt until it turns brownish-gold.
- Shake the seasoning over the pork.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from the fire.
Here you have it. These two alternatives are the crunchy alternative that you get when you are on the keto diet. These are specially prepared so you don’t miss the legendary popcorn.
You can even sneak this popcorn into a movie night and crunch. However be careful, else you are thrown out for not following rules.
There is also something worth knowing. This article is for keto popcorn, an alternative of the regular popcorn. It won’t be exactly like the regular popcorn but it is sure a great effort to make you appreciate the keto diet. It won’t taste exactly but in time you would get used to it.